Mount Merrion Church
|Project:||Mount Merrion Church|
|Client:||Parish of St. Therese, Mount Merrion|
|Services Provided:||Full Civil and Structural Engineering|
Thomas Garland & Partners were the Structural and Civil Engineers for the original church, which opened in 1956. Due to the passage of time, a major refurbishment was planned for the Jubilee Celebrations. The project involved the complete survey of the original building fabric and a programme of works was agreed with the parish. A new zoned under-floor heating system was installed which required the entire ground floor to be removed. The new 200mm thick concrete slab was poured incorporating the under-floor heating loops within its depth rather than the traditional 2-stage slab construction. Polypropylene fibre reinforcement was used in lieu of steel mesh. Provision was made in the slab for all the services to items such as the new Baptismal Font, the Ambo and Altar. An extensive system of walkways were installed in the attic space to allow for all the new lights to be serviced from that space rather than bringing hoists into the church. Archbishop Martin rededicated the church on the 17th February 2007.