Kilkenny Courthouse

Project: Kilkenny Courthouse
Completion Date: 2010
Client: Office of Public Works (OPW)
Project Value: €12.8m
Services Provided: Full civil and structural engineering, resident engineer
Project Size: 2,935m² – New build area

Project Description

The project involved a major refurbishment and extension to the existing protected Court Building originally constructed in 1792. A substantial 5-storey extension was constructed to the rear of the existing protected structure and is connected by a spectacular glazed atrium. The area is a constricted town centre site, located adjacent to a river.

Piled foundations to rock were used to support the new extension – the existing ground was a soft silt. The extension includes a structural steel frame with reinforced concrete lift/stair cores, precast and reinforced concrete slabs and walls, curtain walling, planar glazing, masonry and other architectural features. Sensitive engineering solutions were required to assist with the restoration of dilapidated sections of the existing building. Brick piers and arches were restored and strengthened. Underground masonry barrel vaults were inspected and cracked and dilapidated sections were repaired and strengthened.

Find out more about Garland Engineering  here.

 

Get in Touch
Follow us on