Lower House Grangegorman

Project: Lower House Grangegorman
Completion Date: 2021
Client: Fitzgerald Kavanagh & Partners
Project Value: €14.8m
Services Provided: Assigned Certifier Services
Project Size: 4000 sq m

Project Description

The Lower House is the name given to the former Richmond Asylum which opened to patients in 1814 and served over 2,000 patients at its peak. It forms an important gateway part of the new University campus and is one of the 11 protected structures on the Grangegorman site. This old building has been refurbished from a derelict shell, to be available for a variety of student uses for Technical University Dublin. 

The building’s new uses include music practice rooms, students’ union workspace, a food hall with full production kitchen, sports rooms, a dance studio and general student support services. The refurbishment of the existing 3600m2, 3 storey over partial basement project also included two single storey extensions, totalling 393m. The project itself was extremely challenging due to the exposed nature of the protected structure, the significant structural works required and the extremely tight timeframe set out by the Client, magnified by the fact that we were in the middle of a global pandemic.

Get in Touch
Follow us on